I saw this on ebay today. Guy said he is building new M19 cabs and providing all new GPA drivers. My question is if you are building new cabs why not mirror image them? I know its just the port but it would bug me.
Altec 19 clone speakers | eBay
I saw this on ebay today. Guy said he is building new M19 cabs and providing all new GPA drivers. My question is if you are building new cabs why not mirror image them? I know its just the port but it would bug me.
Altec 19 clone speakers | eBay
I built 2 M19 pairs once and like a minor fool just followed the Altec plans. When I was done, I wish I would have mirrored the ports on the front. I then thought, why not move the xover to the back. But, with too many modifications they really don't appear to be M19's.
I'm also guessing that many of the potential clients would like them as standard as possible.
I will be building another pair in the future and will customize them more for my personal appeal.
Matt
My nitpicking begins at the fundamental language level.
Clone = a copy, identical in every detail, to the DNA level in biology.
He is not offering clones. They are facsimiles, as are most DIY'd Altecs.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
Ah very true bowtie. He could say something like "improved replica m19 speakers".
I just think for 5,500$ you could get some REALLY nice original M19's and have the original AlNiCo drivers. Even if you had to have them reconed and new diaphragms in the HF drivers you would still have less than 5,500$ into them.
I know there is the crowd that prefers only "new" HiFi gear.

or you could spend 5000 on a pair of 755sLOL
Sonic Barbarian
I own two original pair of Model 19's (alnico version) -- see photos in link below.
Road Trip to New Jersey
As much as I am still blown away with how great they sound, I have to admit that I'd love to hear a pair with new GPA drivers and crossovers (even if just for comparative purposes) and I LOVE the fact that someone nearby (Cleveland--4 hours from me) is currently building and selling these (not to mention that sales of these help to support GPA). I wonder if he's using the GPA alnico 416-8B's or the GPA 416-8C's (and also wonder if he's using GPA alnico h.f. drivers or the ferrites). I agree with a previous post that he shouldn't be calling these clones, but other than that--I'm all for what this guy is doing. He says he's "fixed" the cabinet design--I hope he posts pics of the new versions soon. "after checking the prototype there are 2 changes I have to make although the prototype speakers will sound the same.. they are not 100% the same as The original Altec 19 speaker..I HAVE UPDATED THE BUILDER FOR THE CHANGES AND THE NEXT SET WILL BE CORRECT.."
Thanks for sharing this Ebay link. If I had more room (room for a 3rd pair of 19's) and $5500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy a pair of these.
Being of "Sound" Mind
Well, being an English/Technical Writing major from waaaay back, this kind of word (mis)usage bothers me, too. But several dictionaries I consulted have alternate definitions such as "to produce a copy or imitation of." - Dictionary.com
(Some people get rather worked up when you challenge the use of words. A few days ago I cast doubt on the new pop phrase, "There's only ONE race - that's the HUMAN race." Of course, there are four races: Asian; Negro; Mongoloid; and Caucasian. Man, did I stir up a hornets nest. That's the first time I've ever been called a "RACIST!" And, not just once, either. And "Homophobic." Still haven't figured that one out!![]()
)
GeeDeeEmm
Bookmarks